As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching using a tool which scans the Facebook events of Roller Derby leagues known to Derby Listing.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank for July is out (pending updates as late scores trickle into FTS), with the usual map mode, score predictions and the rest, for all teams in the world. (It also has some WFTDA rankings, including the 31 May ranking, as well as SRDRank. We will be adding the WFTDA July ranking as soon as it is released.)
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know! [Or add yourselves to FTS and/or Derbylisting]
This weekend Scotland is having a bit of a rest after last weekend:
- There are no public bouts this weekend in Scotland.
- Friday, Dundee: Dundee Roller Girls host their regular open scrims [this one is open to all female/non-binary identifying skaters] [EVENT]
- (Edinburgh: Lothian Derby Dolls are playing New Town Roller Girls in a closed scrim.)
British Champs is having a quiet time:
- Literally nothing is scheduled for this day!
Outside of Champs there’s a few things going on:
- Friday, Newcastle: Newcastle Roller Girls host their home teams tournament, the War Lasses, Blue Star Bruisers and the Toon Raiders all competing in short-format games for the cup. [EVENT] (This is preceded by the Newcastle Junior Roller Derby tournament!)
- Halifax: the third Last Action Heroes exhibition tournament is happening, organised as always by Talk Derby To Me’s King Crazy. As always, 8 action movie themed teams play it out for the trophy. [EVENT]
- Eastbourne: the 2017 Eastbourne Extreme (outdoor roller derby tournament event) happens too! Itinerary still to be published… [EVENT]
- Wolverhampton: Wolverhampton Honour Rollers are hosting a birthday party picnic (weather permitting!) [EVENT]
- Grimsby: Grimsby Roller Derby host a Coed (OTA) Scrim, open subscription, closed to the public. [EVENT]
- Sunday, Birmingham: the Crash Test Brummies host an open scrim [EVENT]
In Europe, there’s one giant thing which we have to mention first :
- Barcelona, Spain: from Thursday through the weekend, Euro Derby Con returns to Barcelona, hosted by Track Advantage. The European answer to Rollercon is too full of challenge bouts, bootcamp sessions and other things for us to summarise, so just follow the event link! [EVENT]
- Ruhrpott, Germany: Ruhrpott Roller Girls host a double header: a Bundesliga div 2 bout between Zombie Rollergirlz Münster and Mannheim’s Delta Quads [FTS Tournament], followed by the hosts B versus Darmstadt B [FTS] [EVENT] (SRDRank rates the Delta Quads highly, and favours the hosts v Darmstadt)
- La Roche sur Yon, France: Les Passeuses Dâmes host a national team exhibition bout, as Équipe de France (Feminine) show off their talents. [EVENT]
- Hamburg, Germany: Harbour Girls Hamburg host Zurich City Rollergirlz for the last bout of the season! [FTS][EVENT] (SRDRank considers this a very close bout; WFTDA favours Zurich more strongly.)
- Barcelona, Spain: Flat Track Stats lists a bout between Barcelona and Roller Derby Milano… but there’s no event in Facebook yet. [FTS]
- Lisbon, Portugal: Team Portugal open their training session to other Portuguese skaters, for the good of Portuguese roller derby! [EVENT]
- Joensuu, Finland: Joensuu Roller Derby host a 6 team Sur5al tournament [EVENT] as part of the local Ilosaarirock music festival [EVENT]
- Sunday, Bergamo, Italy: the Crimson Vipers invite everyone to a punk rock concert with them [EVENT]
- Thursday, Munich, Germany: Munich Rolling Rebels host their regular open-to-public scrimmage session, followed by a retreat to the bar for meet-and-greet. [EVENT]
In Australia and New Zealand:
- Tuggeranong, ACT, Australia: Varsity Roller Derby League host a “Power Day” of derby, a quintuple header! [EVENT]
- South Sea Sirens Roller Derby Banshees vs VDL Rogue Scholars (Women’s) [FTS]
- Sydney City SMASH v VDL Smackademics (Mixed/Coed/OTA) [FTS]
- Inner West Roller Derby Skatecrashers V SSRD Banshees (Women’s) [FTS]
- VDL Capital Carnage v SMASH (Men’s) [FTS]
- VDL Rogue Scholars v IWRDL Skatecrashers (Women’s) [FTS]
- Friday, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia: Newcastle Roller Derby League host a “viper session” – a high-intensity open training session! [EVENT]
- Friday, Gladstone, Queensland, Australia: Gladstone PCYC Roller Derby host an all-ages Masquerade Roller Disco as a fundraiser [EVENT]
- Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia: Toowoomba City Rollers host a double header, with Toowoomba playing North Brisbane Rollers’ Team Griffin [FTS], ahead of a black-v-white men’s game with open subscription [EVENT] (SRDRank favours Team Griffin)
- Armadale, Western Australia: the Dread Pirate Rollers host a double header, with the hosts playing South Australia’s Rockabellas Roller Derby League [FTS], ahead of an mixed coed game [EVENT] (SRDRank strongly favours the home team, but there’s not much data for either to go on!)
- Geraldton, Western Australia: Geraldton Sin City Rollers host the 4th annual Sin City Slam, with Sin City Rollers taking on a mixed team in a Guardians of the Galaxy themed event [EVENT]
- Napier, New Zealand: Bay City Rollers host a double header against Swamp City Roller Derby of Palmerston North – A v A [FTS] and B v B [FTS] [EVENT] (SRDRank favours the hosts in the B bout, but the visitors for the A).
- Whangarei, New Zealand: Northland Nightmares Roller Derby host Taranaki Roller Corps of New Plymouth for a bout [FTS][EVENT] (SRDRank favours the hosts)
- Lower Hutt, New Zealand: Hutt Valley Vanguard host a “Karma Keg” fundraiser [EVENT]
- Okinawa, Japan: Devil Dog Derby Dames beginners intake begins [EVENT]
- Sunday, Brisbane, Australia: Brisbane City Rollers hold an intake day (postponed from last week) for all genders. [EVENT]
- Late addition: Cessnock, New South Wales, Australia: the 2nd round of the Northern Division of the Eastern Region Season Tournament sees Maitland Roller Derby, Port Macquarie Roller Derby League, Outcast Derby, Northern Beaches Roller Girls, and Coffs Coast Derby all play fixtures [FTS][EVENT]
- Late addition: Western Sydney Rollers host the final of their home season, as B52 Bombshells play Blackheart Brawlers for the championship [EVENT]
In Latin America, there’s the usual tournament and other things :):
- Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina: the Atomic Bombs Roller Derby host No Excuses Roller Derby (NERD) [FTS] in a double-header with a open-subscription Coed/OTA bout[EVENT] (SRDRank favours NERD)
- Blumenau, Brazil: The Iron Ladies Roller Derby are hosting a weekend of roller derby all in one event, designed to help all of Brazilian Roller Derby [EVENT]
- Peñalolén, Chile: Metropolitan Roller Derby host a home teams tournament, with Anfetamina vs Hotchili and Histeria vs Caníbales Dark [EVENT]
- Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina: Comodoro Roller Derby host a bootcamp (run by Sailor City Rollers’ Bloody Jam), with attached black v white scrimmage, coed. [EVENT]
- Lima, Peru: Toxic Lima Roller Derby organise a fundraising fair, with a huge range of items on sale [EVENT]
- Sunday, Bogotá, Colombia: the end of the 4th District Tournament approaches, with Central Derby DC hosting originally just two bouts; Combativas Revoltosas versus Rock N Roller Queens B (“Queens”), and Fugitivas versus Maquina del Mal Feminino. Due to complications earlier in the series, two more have been added: Rock N Roller Queens versus Bogotá Bonebreakers B, and Central Derby DC themselves versus Bonebreakers A. These are the last fixtures before the semifinal and final on the weekend of the 30th. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Sunday, São Paulo, Brazil: the Thunder Rats Derby Squad are playing Grey City Rebels (also São Paulo) in a “friendly” game. [FTS][EVENT]
- Sunday, Buenos Aires, Argentina: Sailor City Rollers host a double header, with their Tsunami Bombs (B) playing NERD [FTS], and the Sea Monsters (C) taking on Cosmic Clan (Wonderclan B) [FTS] [EVENT] (SRDRank favours NERD, but thinks the C bout will be really close!)
- Sunday, Buenos Aires, Argentina:… NERD also host their own double header(!), as Cholas Roller Derby take on Dirty Fucking Dolls [FTS], whilst NERD’s Insurrexion play Kamikazes [FTS][EVENT]
- Late Addition: Sunday, Mexico City, Mexico: CDMX’s Burdel Zombie host a triple-header “triangular” tournament with the hosts playing against Toluca’s Átomicas, and Morelia’s Ovejas Negras [FTS 1,2,3][EVENT?]
- Late Addition: Sunday, Mexico City, Mexico: the “other” Mexico City league, Mexico City Roller Derby, also have a bout, as their Quadtlicues face Discordias Roller Derby [FTS][EVENT]
Africa and Middle East
This section is quiet again.
Our upcoming events for this week are the competing Road to Barcelona Men’s National Teams events, both on the 18th/19th November in Europe!
Team Germany Men’s are hosting one of the events, with no announced teams (other than Germany).
Team Netherlands Men’s are hosting the other event, with Ireland, Belgium, Scotland, Spain and Italy confirmed, as well as the hosts.
(This leaves the Nordic teams, England, Wales, and Central Europe for Germany to persuade over to their event.)
We’re raising this here just so no-one is surprised by the two events fighting with each other!