As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching using a tool which scans the Facebook events of Roller Derby leagues known to Derby Listing.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank for July will be out this week – the fifth for this year, with this years’ redesigned interface, allowing you to browse historical rankings for the last 10 years, view a map of all the active teams, select by any combinations of country, gender, and get predictions of scores. (It also has some WFTDA rankings, including the 31 May ranking, as well as SRDRank.)
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know! [Or add yourselves to FTS and/or Derbylisting]
This weekend Scotland has all the action at home:
- Dundee hosts a National teams double header, as Power of Scotland play themselves , whilst Team Scotland Roller Derby take on Vagine Regime UK [EVENT]
- Sunday, Blackburn: Team Scotland play the second bout of the weekend, against a mixed team of skaters, followed by hosts Glasgow Men’s Roller Derby playing The Inhuman League [FTS] [EVENT]
British Champs is having a quiet time:
- Sunday, Bedfordshire sees the Tier 3 East, with hosts Rebellion Roller Derby playing Killa Hurtz Roller Derby of Chelmsford, and the Norfolk Brawds bouting Hell’s Belles of Hertfordshire [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (SRDRank predicts wins for the Brawds and the hosts)
Outside of Champs there’s not a lot going on either:
- Newark, Nottinghamshire: London Rollergirls take on Team USA in the biggest event of the weekend for the UK. [EVENT] (This event prepended by a Team USA bootcamp here: [EVENT])
- Sunday, Devon: North Devon Roller Derby host the second round of the “South West Season”, with a triple header round robin of the hosts, Plymouth City Roller Derby and Wiltshire Roller Derby [FTS 1,2,3] to determine the team to play Bath’s Spa Town in the final. [EVENT]
- Newcastle: Tyne and Fear Roller Derby are running a coed/open to all bootcamp, on the theme of Jammers versus Blockers. [EVENT]
Monday,Loughborough: the Sox Pistols, Roller Derby Loughborough, are holding a training session / intake evening. [EVENT]
- Late addition (because Manchester didn’t put up the event until the 5th!): Sunday, Manchester: Manchester Roller Derby hold another open open-to-all/coed scrim [EVENT]
- Late addition: Cambridge: Cambridge Rollerbillies host a double header, their B Team, the Punt Rockers, taking on “Team East Angrier” – something of a blast from the past, as that exhibition team last appears in FTS in 2009 – , and topped by an open subscription (skater tickets sold out) rookie game. [EVENT]
- Late Addition (no FB event!): Suffolk, Sunday: Suffolk Roller Derby host Leeds Roller Derby B!
In Europe, :
- Friday to Sunday, Madrid, Spain: Black Thunders Roller Derby Madrid are holding three days of intake/recruitment! [EVENT]
- Vigo, Spain: Roller Derby Vigo host a two day “Spanish Roller Derby Championship”, with Vigo, Roller Derby Madrid and Rock’n’Roller Derby Murcia playing for the women’s cup, and Madrid’s MadRiders playing Tenerife’s Tibicenas for the men’s. [EVENT] There’s no bouts on FTS for this yet, as there’s no schedule. SRDRank favours Madrid to win overall.
- Tampere, Finland: Tampere Roller Derby host the Suomi Cup (Finland’s championship), with the hosts, Helsinki Roller Derby, Kallio Rolling Rainbow and Turku’s Dirty River Roller Derby all playing for the cup. [FTS Tournament][EVENT] SRDRank favours Helsinki, unsurprisingly given their years’ performance.
- Las Palmas, Grand Canaria (Canary Islands/Spain): Las Palmas Roller Derby host a double header, with the hosts playing The Royal Army B (Stockholm) [FTS] and neighbours Tenerife Roller Derby playing Royal Army A [FTS] [EVENT]
- Ludwigsburg, Germany: Barockcity Roller Derby host a Bundesliga div 2 bout against Karlsruhe’s RockARollers [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Paris, France: Lutece Destroyeuses host the third “Summer Games”, with bouts on Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday sees a triple-header between London Rockin’ Rollers, Seaside Siren Roller Girls and the hosts’ Encastreuses (A) [FTS 1,2,3]. The Sunday sees a separate triple with Nîmes’ Bone Breakers, Angoulême’s Brain Damage and the hosts P’tite Frappes (B) [FTS 1,2,3]! [EVENT]
- Urecht, Netherlands: hosts Dom City Dolls hold a double header, with Dom City B, the Thunderdoms, taking on Amsterdam Roller Derby B [FTS], and Dom City A playing Oulu’s Shitty City Rollers [FTS] [EVENT]
- Marseille, France: AMSCAS (Association Méditerranéenne de Soutien Culturel Artistique et sportif) hosts an event to close the sporting season, featuring Roller Derby Marseille in some capacity [EVENT]
- Lyon, France: L.A.R.D. celebrate the end of the big season in France with a party hosted at Livestation D.I.Y. [EVENT]
- Neuwied, Germany: Chaos Crushers Coblenz host a double open-subscription scrimmage event, with both newbies and intermediate/advanced fixtures in the same day, and open to the public [EVENT]
- Sunday, Eindhoven, Germany: Rockcity Rollers are also hosting a season-ending open scrimmage event (teams to be determined) [EVENT]
- Monday, Ludwigsburg, Germany: Barockcity Roller Derby also host an intake/recruitment evening [EVENT]
In Australia and New Zealand:
- Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia: Coffs Coast Derby host a black v white scrimmage at home, with skaters donated by Port Macquarie, Lismore, Armidale and Grafton’s derby teams. [EVENT]
- Menai, Australia: South Side Derby Dolls host their annual Harry Potter themed triwizard tournament triple header, with the hosts, Varsity Derby League’s Dishonour Rollers and Smackademics (women’s and “coed/open to all” teams) all competing with one another [FTS 1,2,3] [EVENT]
- Adelaide, Australia: Adelaide Roller Derby’s home teams season continues, with the Mile Die Club playing the Wild Hearses [EVENT]
- Friday to Sunday, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia: Victorian Roller Derby League’s 10th Birthday is a multi-day event, as it deserves.
- Friday: celebrating the old and the new, VRDL host a double header of Victorian Juniors (the smALL Stars, current Australian Junior Nationals champs) versus Lil Adelaide Rollers; followed by VRDL’s veterans versus their new rookies in the development squad! [EVENT]
- Saturday: a triple header, as VRDL’s Notorious VICs play South Sea Sirens of Melbourne [FTS];
VRDL Queen Bee’s take on Victorian (Men’s) Vanguard [FTS], and then
VRDL All Stars take on the might of Aotearoa (New Zealand) Roller Derby! [EVENT], followed by a Gala Ball [EVENT] SRDRank considers the VRDL B v Vanguard bout to be potentially very close; the C bout is a likely win for the V.I.Cs, and given VRDL’s strength it would be foolish to bet against them even against Aotearoa!
- Sunday: VRDL run a bootcamp with sections for Adults, Juniors and Officials! [EVENT]
- Tauranga, New Zealand: Mount Militia Derby Crew host New Zealand’s chapter of Team Crazy Legs (the exhibition team for skaters affected by mental health or chronic illness) [EVENT]
- Levin, New Zealand: Whenua Fatales host Wellington’s Hutt Valley Vanguard Roller Derby for a bout [FTS][EVENT]
- Waipapa, New Zealand: Peowhairangi Roller Derby League host a 70s roller disco night! [EVENT]
- Sunday, Darwin, Australia: Darwin Roller Girls host a trivia night to raise funds to attend a tournament in August [EVENT].
- Monday, Timaru, New Zealand: Timaru Roller Derby are hosting an “open skate night” to build interest ahead of their next intake. [EVENT]
- Monday, Mount Maunganui, New Zealand: Mount Militia Derby Crew host the first of a large series of intake nights [EVENT]
In Latin America, it:
- Bogotá, Colombia: the 4th District Tournament continues, with Combativos hosting. The women’s tier sees Bogota Bone Breakers B (the Baby Breakers) play Rock N Roller Queens B (Queens), Maquina del Mal Feminino take on Rock N Roller Queens A; the men’s tier sees Combativos play Legión Rollerquads, and Maquina del Mal play Rock N Roller Kings [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Guadalajara, Mexico: Minervas Roller Derby Guadalajara play Roller Derby Celaya [FTS][EVENT]
- Los Lagos, Chile: Roller Derby Valdivia host a triple header, with Aukan Roller Derby versus the hosts [FTS], a “friendly” mixed bout versus the hosts, and a black v white scrimmage to finish [EVENT]
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Sugar Loathe Roller Derby are recruiting! [EVENT]
- Sunday, Buenos Aires, Argentina: Men’s team, the Thunder Rats are hosting a party! [EVENT]
- Sunday, Argentina: Sailor City Rollers host a double header, with unconfirmed opponents [EVENT] as part of the countdown to the Piratas en el Asfalto tournament they’re hosting in August.
- Late addition Pachuca, Hidalgo, Mexico: entirely new team, Derby Witches, host a double header, taking on Toluca’s Reptilias [FTS] and Mexico City’s Discordias [FTS][EVENT]
- Late addition: Neuquen, Argentina: Roller Derby Bardas Insurrectas organise a B/C tournament, VALLETANO III, featuring the hosts, Sarcasticats, Volcanicas, Deskarriadas, Hijas del Pantano, Adrenaline, Rotten Vicious Dolls (DFD B), Cruellas. Nothing on FTS yet because there’s no schedule. [EVENT]
Africa and Middle East
This section is quiet again.
Our upcoming event for this week is Team Spain (Men’s)’s Tournament in Barcelona, “Roller Derby Torneo Barcelona City”, 5th to 6th August. Not only are Scotland’s Glasgow Men’s Roller Derby competing, but it’s a great chance to scope out the venue for the Men’s World Cup in 2018!
- 5th, 6th August -“Roller Derby Torneo Barcelona City” https://www.facebook.com/events/1906063339640738/