As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching using a tool which scans the Facebook events of Roller Derby leagues known to Derby Listing.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank is out – the first for this year, and now includes Junior leagues where possible, and a lot more Latin American leagues.
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know!
Unusually for an update here recently, the Scottish derby action is entirely in Scotland this weekend:
- Hosted by ShepSk8, Dundee Roller Girls B (the Bonnie Colliders) play Manchester’s Arcadia Roller Derby [FTS][EVENT]
- Quadzilla, who will also be attending ShepSk8 for non-derby skating sessions, is also making use of his time in Scotland hosting Roller Derby bootcamps/training sessions in:
Unusually, there are no British Champs fixtures this weekend.
Outside of Champs there’s also little we know about:
- London sees London Rockin’ Rollers host a double header: LRR B versus North Devon Roller Derby [FTS] followed by the LRR Wreckin Rollers rookie team in an exhibition bout. [EVENT]
- Birmingham sees Central City Rollergirls’ “ANIMEzing Roller Derby Tournament”, for B/C level skaters. All exhibition teams, so no FTS. [EVENT]
- And in Cardiff, Team Wales are playing the Vagine Regime. [EVENT]
In Europe, there’s rather a lot of derby, but all concentrated in a few places…
- Hannover hosts the German Bundesliga, tier 2, with hosts Demolition Derby Dolls playing Barockcity [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Nörrkoping, Sweden hosts the last games of the Swedish Seriespel (Elite Tier); hosts versus Crime City (Malmö), Luleå versus Gothenburg [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Kallio, Finland sees the “Farewell to Forearms” tournament, a two tier tournament with Paris A, Auld Reekie A and Kallio A in Tier 1, and Paris B, Helsinki B and Kallio B in Tier 2. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Rennes, France sees the “Spring Rolls” tournament, featuring Rennes’ Vilaines, the Sabordeuses of Brest, Bordeaux’ Compagnie Cruelle, and the Filles de Neptune of Nantes in a full tournament over two days. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Namur, Belgium is the host for Namur Roller Girls’ 6th Birthday extravangaza, with
- Porto, Portugal, sees Roller Derby Porto host a triple-header round-robin against Roller Derby Madrid and London Rollergirls C [FTS 1,2,3][EVENT]
- Lille, France, sees Roller Derby Lille host a triple-header, with Switchblade vSaint-Gratien’s Panthers Graou [FTS], Lille B v Panthers Miaou [FTS], and men’s Les Barbiers de Sévices vs Rouen’s Croque-Morts [FTS] [EVENT]
- In Mannheim, Germany, the Delta Quads are hosting Prague City Roller Derby [FTS][EVENT]
- Luxembourg sees a double header hosted by Roller Derby Luxembourg (with no Facebook event we can see, just an afterparty); the hosts playing Reaper’s Crew of Épinal, France [FTS], and a men’s game, with exhibition team Rock’Est versus Mons’ter Munch (Mons) [FTS]
- Gothenburg, Sweden, sees a men’s bout as Gothenburg Salty Seamen host the Crash Test Brummies of Birmingham, UK [FTS][EVENT]
- Kouvola, Finland sees Kouvola Rock n Rollers play Tampere B in a closed bout [FTS]
- Sunday, Lyon, France sees Lyon Roller Derby host a double header, Lyon B (Gones’N’Roses) play Roller Derby Valence B [FTS] and Men’s team Mon Cherrry play Paris’ Panam Squad B [FTS][EVENT]
In Australia and New Zealand, it’s pretty busy, but with little on FTS:
- Canberra, Australia sees Canberra Roller Derby Leagues’ home season continue with Brindabelters versus Black ‘n’ Blue Belles [EVENT]
- Liverpool, Australia sees South Side Derby Dolls host Round 2 of the 5×5 Roller Derby Championship, with Varsity vs Central Coast and Sydney vs Newcastle (A tier); Hawkesbury vs Blue Mountains and South Side vs Inner West (B tier) [FTS tournament][EVENT]
- Mackay, Australia sees Mackay City Roller Maidens host the 3 day Great Barrier Grief tournament, featuring (as well as the hosts), two mixed/exhibition teams (North Australian Roller Derby, Rural And Widespread Rollers [winners of cutest logo ever]), the Top Gun Rollers of North Queensland, Rum City Roller Dolls of Bundaberg, Rocky Roller Derby of Rockhampton, and an open subscription “Pot luck” team. (FTS entries in progress as we work through things) [FTS tournament] [EVENT]
- Campbelltown, Australia sees the start of Murder City Roller Girls’ home season, with debuting team, the Slamazons playing MCRG’s oldest home team, Dames of Hazard [EVENT]
- Nelson Bay, New Zealand sees the Sirens of Smash host an intraleague, with Breaking Bad vs Sons of Anarchy themed teams [EVENT]
- Sunday, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales: Coffs Coast Derby Dolls host an open scrimmage for junior skaters. [EVENT]
- Sunday, Albany, Australia sees Albany Roller Derby League host a black and white scrimmage to celebrate their 3rd birthday [EVENT]
In Latin America, it seems quite quiet…
- São Paulo, Brazil, sees Ladies of Helltown host a party to celebrate their 8th Birthday! [EVENT]
- Curtiba, Brazil, sees the Blue Jay Rollers hosted an open day for potential rookies [EVENT]
- Sunday, São Paulo: men’s team, the Thunder Rats Derby Squad are hosting a fundraiser of “open icecream” to raise funds to attend the Twisted and Mixed tournament we mentioned last week. [EVENT]
- Sunday; Berazategui, Buenos Aires, Argentina sees Kamikazes Roller Derby host the only actual derby we know about: a triple-header round robin versus Desalmadas (Avellaneda) and Fawkes (Merlo, Buenos Aires) [FTS 1,2,3][EVENT]
Africa and Middle East
This section is quiet again.
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
Coming up in May, there’s the usual invitational tournaments, and, whilst they get a lot of attention anyway, we’re mentioning The Big O 2017 (Eugene, Oregon) this once, as they have their first Latin American guests in 2×4 Roller Derby this year.
- May 5 – The Big O https://www.facebook.com/events/1356059051113408/