As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank is out – the first for this year, and now includes Junior leagues where possible, and a lot more Latin American leagues.
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know!
Whilst Auld Reekie A are down in Newcastle:
- Auld Reekie Roller Girls’ ASTROs are hosting Bairn City Rollers’ Central Belters [FTS] in Edinburgh [EVENT] (FTS favours the visitors here)
As will be the case for the next few months, much of the bouts in the UK are part of British Champs:
- The Tier 3 West is hosted by Sheffield Steel Rollergirls, who will play Milton Keynes, with Hallam Hellcats taking on Nottingham Roller Girls [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- The Tier 4 North is hosted by Mansfield Roller Derby, who will play Durham Roller Derby, along with York Minxters facing Wakey Wheeled Cats [FTS Tournament] [EVENT]
Outside of Champs:
- Newcastle Roller Girls host EuroClash, their first international Roller Derby tournament. Featured teams are: Edinburgh’s Auld Reekie Roller Girls, Berlin’s Bear City Roller Derby, Birmingham’s Central City Rollergirls, Dublin Roller Derby, Leeds Roller Derby, Middlebrough Roller Derby [recently rebranded from Milk Rollers], Paris Rollergirls, Cardiff’s Tiger Bay Brawlers along with Newcastle Roller Girls themselves. Also present are Team Scotland Roller Derby and Team Ireland Roller Derby for a rematch ahead of the World Cup in 2018. We’ve interviewed all the teams here: and maintain a record of the timetable and scores here: [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Liverpool Roller Birds host a double header, as LRB A take on Dublin Roller Derby B [FTS] and LRB B play Bristol Roller Derby B [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS expects close games, favouring the hosts A, but the visitors B)
- Portsmouth Roller Wenches host a double header against Brighton, with Portsmouth A playing Brighton Rockers [FTS] and Portsmouth B facing Brighton Rockerbillies [FTS][EVENT] (FTS favours the hosts for both bouts)
- On Sunday, Grimsby Roller Derby hosts a double header against Manchester, with Grimsby A against Manchester B (The Furies) [FTS], and a men’s bout with Brothers Grimm against The Chaos Engine [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS favours the home team, slightly and can’t predict the men. SRD Rank favours the visitors for the men’s bout.)
- Late Addition: Suffolk Roller Derby are hosting a coed/OTA open event, with a Rick and Morty theme, on Sunday. [EVENT]
In Europe, it seems quite quiet at the moment:
- In Sweden, the National “Seriespel” continues, with the Elite tier seeing Dock City host Gothenburg, The Royal Army and Crime City over the weekend. Both Gothenburg and Crime City are, as usual for them, playing with their special rosters for the Eliteserien, not their A teams. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- In France, Brest’s B.M.O. Roller Derby Girls host Paris C, Sans Culottes [FTS], and a mixed A/B team from Rennes (not on FTS due to mixed nature) for a triple header.[EVENT] (FTS favours, slightly, Paris C)
- Also in France, Roller Derby Lorient’s men’s team – Hero sQuaD – host a round-robin triple header against Barons Cathares and Nantes’ Jules Vénères [FTS 1,2,3] [EVENT] (
- In Portugal, Coimbra’s Rocket Dolls host the Black Rebels of Leiria, for what might be the latter’s first game! [FTS][EVENT]
- In Vicenza, Italy, the Anguanas are hosting a double header, with their A team against Milan’s Harpies [FTS], and their B team against “Adriatic Roller Derby League”‘s Seasters [FTS] [EVENT]
There’s one big tournament in the Pacific region this weekend:
- This Friday, Saturday and Sunday sees the Tomodachi Derby Tournament in Okinawa, hosting Tokyo Roller Girls, Okinawa Roller Derby [ex Kokeshi Roller Dolls], Devil Dog Derby Dames, Hawai’i’s Pacific Roller Derby, Alaska’s Fairbanks Rollergirls, Calgary Men’s Glenmore Reservoir Dogs, Team Japan Men’s Roller Derby (NinJapan), and two exhibition teams: Pan-Asian Spring Rollers [representing China and Thailand], and Team WRDJ. We ran a series of interviews with the attendees here: and maintain a record of the tournament including times here: [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Perth, Australia sees Perth Roller Derby’s home season start out with the Bloody Sundaes versus the Mistresses of Mayhem [EVENT]
- Canberra Roller Derby League also have their first home season event this Saturday, with Surly Griffins vs Red Bellied Black Hearts [EVENT]
- Late Addition: Auckland, New Zealand’s Pirate City Rollers are hosting a women v men’s bout as the All Scars take on Northern Gentlemen’s Roller Skating Club of Upper North Island [FTS][EVENT]
In Central and South America, there’s two big events we’re aware of (please let us know if we’re missing anything else) [Note: we have to trawl through all the Latin American leagues to pick up some of these – we had to add all but the Colombian bouts to FTS while making this update – can we once again please ask the Latin American community to try to keep us informed of events going on, via FTS or otherwise!]
- In Bogotá, Colombia, the 4to Distrital Torneo continues, as Bogotá BoneBreakers host Combativas Revoltosas against Bogota Bonebreakers B (the Baby Breakers), Fugitivas RollerPunk against Rock’n Roller Queens B (Queens), and in the men’s tier, Rock’n Roller Kings versus Légion. [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- In Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires, MDQueens are hosting a “C” category bout [this relates to the Argentinean internal categorisation of “C”, not the usage of “C team” outside Argentina], with a combination of Royal C (their new C category team) + Calacas Acidas Roller Derby of Necochea playing Brujas Roller Girls of Bahía Blanca. [EVENT]
- In Mendoza, Lado Oscuro Roller Derby are hosting Quad Wars 2017, a two-tier tournament featuring Brutal Lips of Cordoba, N.E.R.D of Buenos Aires, Dirty Fucking Dolls of Temperly, and Lado Oscuro in Tier 1 (“Sith”), and Sarcasticats of Mendoza, Bayonetas of Chile (Metropolitan B) and Tsunami Bombs of Buenos Aires (Sailor City B) [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- In Sao Paulo, Brazil, Ladies of HellTown are hosting a double header, as they take on both Thunder Rats Derby Squad [FTS] and Shark Attack – Santos Men’s Roller Derby[FTS][EVENT]
- In Toluca, Mexico, Atómicas Roller Derby are hosting a bout against Liga Roller Derby Ciudad de México’s Aniquiladoras [FTS] [EVENT]
- Late Addition (seems to have been a late arrangement too): Also in Mexico, Mexico Roller Derby are scrimmaging with the Texicutioners! [EVENT]
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
Coming up in April, there’s a lot of exciting events. This week we’d like to mention Shepsk8, a mixed skating event organised to support Action for Pulmonary Fibrosis. The derby content is both explicit – a bout between Dundee Roller Girls and Arcadia Roller Derby – and implicit with appearances by Quadzilla L.K. (who’s running a derby bootcamp the day before), and a host of Scottish derby personalities in various other roles.
- Shepsk8 – Perth, Scotland – April 29https://www.facebook.com/events/1141994839249450/
also in April, Nantes Derby Girls are hosting the 5th edition of their own European tournament, West Track Story, on the 8th and 9th. This is a 10 bout WFTDA tournament featuring Nantes Derby Girls, Dirty River Roller Derby, Antwerp Roller Derby , Go Go Gent Roller Derby and Glasgow Roller Derby!
- West Track Story 5 – Nantes, France – April 8-9https://www.facebook.com/events/629986423840264/