As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts). Our new SRD Rank is out – the first for this year, and now includes Junior leagues where possible, and a lot more Latin American leagues.
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know!
The roller derby starts in Scotland a day early this week…
- On Friday, Dundee Roller Girls are hosting Aberdeen’s Granite City Roller Derby for a quick game. Both teams have significant contributions to the national squad (4 from DRG and 3 from GCRD) so this will probably be a close game! [FTS][EVENT] (FTS gives Dundee the edge, but it’s definitely not set in stone.)
- and on Saturday, Glasgow Roller Derby host an all-day event to celebrate their 10th Birthday, including a triple-header of bouts [Rookies, Coed and Advanced Women’s categories], a roller disco and general celebration. [EVENT]
As will be the case for the next few months, most of the bouts in the UK are part of British Champs:
- Wirral Roller Derby host the Tier 2 North, the hosts playing Manchester Roller Derby, and hosting Newcastle’s Whippin’ Hinnies against Rainy City’s Tender Hooligans.[FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS considers the hosts’ game to be very close, but gives advantage to Rainy City in the second)
- Wiltshire Roller Derby host the Tier 4 East, the hosts taking on Vendetta Vixens of Northampton, and Oxford Wheels of Gory playing Suffolk Roller Derby [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS favours Vendetta and Suffolk)
- and in Wales, South Wales Silures host the Tier 1 Men’s, with a bout against the Crash Test Brummies. [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS can’t predict this – SRDRank favours the hosts)
Outside of Champs:
- In (greater) Manchester, Rainy City Roller Derby host Auld Reekie Roller Girls in the final Scottish derby event of the day. [FTS][EVENT] (Given Rainy’s reputation at present, it’s not surprising FTS gives the home team the advantage.)
- London Rollergirls are launching their season with a double header, as London B, the Brawl Saints, challenge Crime City B [FTS], whilst London C face Liverpool Roller Birds [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS gives the advantage to the Brawl Saints in the B game, but thinks the Liverpool game will be very close.)
In Europe, there’s the usual mix of national championships and individual fixtures:
- The French Nationale this weekend is hosting bouts in the Elite (top) tier of the tournament, with Toulouse hosting Paris, Caen, Nantes, Lille, Bordeaux, Boucherie de Paris, Amiens in bouts on Saturday and Sunday [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- In Warsaw, Poland, Warsaw Hellcats are hosting a Derby Sevens tournament with 8 participating teams! [EVENT]
- In Switzerland, Luzern’s Hellveticats are hosting the Roller Girls of the Apocalypse (B), of Kaiserslauten. [FTS][EVENT] (FTS thinks this is close, but the hosts have the edge)
- Roller Derby Iceland are really stepping with their schedule this year, with another bout, this time against Hamilton Area Roller Derby, Canada’s Los Coños [FTS][EVENT]
- Rotterdam Roller Derby are hosting a double header, their A team facing Aarhus [FTS], whilst the B team plays Roller Derby Twente [FTS][EVENT] (FTS gives the advantage to the hosts v Aarhus, but to Twente in the other bout.)
- and Tampere, Finland sees a bout between Tampere and Oulu’s A teams [FTS][EVENT] (Tampere has the advantage here.)
- Antwerp’s One Love Roller Dolls are also playing on Sunday, their B team hosting Namur B [FTS][EVENT] (Namur B have the advantage, by FTS)
- further south, Turin’s Bloody Wheels Roller Derby Torino are hosting Milan’s Harpies [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS gives a strong advantage to Milan)
- Still on Sunday, Lausanne’s Rolling Furies are hosting Besançon’s Voodoo Vixens [FTS][EVENT] (FTS predicts a close bout, with advantage to the guests.)
- and much further north, Uppsala’s BURDs are taking on Dock City’s C-Gulls in an avian-themed bout [FTS][EVENT] (This is the C-Gulls’ debut bout, we believe!)
The Australian derby season kicks off this weekend, so we have more events to report here.
- Victorian Roller Derby League are hosting Sydney in a double header, as VRDL’s Queen Bees face Sydney Assassins [FTS], and men’s league Victorian Vanguard take on Sydney City SMASH [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS gives the home teams the advantage here.)
In Colombia, the 4th District Tournament continues in Bogotá on Sunday:
- Rock N Roller Queens host the event this weekend, as Bogotá Bone Breakers face Máquina del Mal Feminino, and Central Derby D.C face Rock N Roller Queens in the women’s tier; whilst Máquina del Mal (Masculino) face Combativos in the men’s tier. [FTS Tournament] (SRD Rank favours the hosts over Central Derby)
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
While we will mention it at the time, Namur Roller Girls are holding a Sur5al tournament for their 6th birthday, with a mighty 15 teams.
- Namur Birthday Sur5al – 30 April https://www.facebook.com/events/611226932411356/https://www.facebook.com/events/611226932411356/
As we mentioned previously, Camp Nidaros is a great looking bootcamp (and bouts) for both skaters and officials – and for the officials side, one of the coaches is Rev Riot, recently announced as a Tournament Head Referee for the Roller Derby World Cup in 2018.
- Camp Nidaros – 1 April https://www.facebook.com/events/1705301659755893/