As is traditional, we’re bringing you another roundup of the upcoming Roller Derby this weekend from across the world. As always, we’re using Flat Track Stats for much of this information – for regions with less good coverage, we also do a bit of intensive searching.
Predictions of bouts are from FTS, if possible, and from our own SRD Rank where FTS cannot make predictions (for example: Latin America, or non-MRDA men’s bouts).
If we’ve missed you from our roundup, please let us know!
As far as we know, there’s only one Scottish roller derby fixture this weekend (but see the Other Events section for exciting things in Edinburgh):
- On Sunday, Glasgow Men’s Roller Derby are playing their first public bout, hosting Barrow Infernos [FTS][EVENTS], ahead of their British Champs appearances. (This bout is part of their progress in joining MRDA.) (FTS can’t predict this; based on their single result, SRD Rank predicts a loss for the home team, but with low confidence.)
As will be the case for the next few months, most of the bouts in the UK are part of British Champs:
- In Manchester, the Tier 2 North starts off, with both of the newly-added B teams playing: hosts Rainy City Roller Derby’s Bet Lynch Mob against Wirral, and Newcastle’s Whippin’ Hinnies against Cambridge Rollerbillies. [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS predicts wins for the host, and for Cambridge.)
- In Nottingham, the Tier 3 West begins, with hosts Nottingham playing the Leicestershire Dolly Rockits, and Sheffield Steel v Wolverhampton Honour Rollers [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS predicts two very close games, with the hosts’ game particularly knife-edge.)
- and finally, in Lincolnshire, the Tier 4 East kicks off, with hosts Lincolnshire Bombers against Suffolk, and Wiltshire against Oxford Wheels of Gory [FTS Tournament][EVENT] (the hosts are making the most of the booking, with a roller disco to finish off). (FTS predicts wins for Suffolk and Wiltshire.)
In Europe, there’s the usual mix of national championships and individual fixtures:
- On Saturday and Sunday, the French Nationale series continues with the second half of the Men’s Qualifiers hosted by Roller Derby Avignon, as Grenoble’s Quadstrators, Orcet, Mâcon, Dijon’s La Raclée , Metz & Strasbourg’s Team Rock’Est and Lyon’s Mon Cherrry contest for placements.[FTS Tournament][EVENT] (FTS can’t predict these bouts. SRD Rank favours Orcet, and considers the rest pretty closely matched.)
- In Oslo, there’s a triple header, as Oslo Roller Derby invite Dresden and Norrköping for three bouts on Saturday[FTS 1,2,3] [EVENT] (FTS expects the hosts and Norrköping to be close enough that it’s hard to call which will win overall.)
- And in Namur, Belgium, there’s a double-header, as Namur B play Mons’ Freaky Mons’ter Girls [FTS] while Namur A take on Utrecht’s Dom City [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS expects a double win for the hosts.)
- Frankfurt, Germany hosts a double-header too, as the hosts Bembel Town play Vagine Regime Central Europe [FTS], followed by South German Men’s Roller Derby versus DHR (the Kiel/Aarhus Men’s team)[FTS] [EVENT] (FTS can’t predict either bout, due to exhibition teams not being rankable.)
- The double-headers continue in Amsterdam on Sunday, as the hosts A play the Rolling Candies of Amiens [FTS] and their B team contests Roller Derby Twente [FTS] [EVENT] (FTS expects a win for Amsterdam A, but a loss for the B team)
- Also, in the Netherlands, on Saturday, The Hague’s Parliament of Pain B (the Jokers) host Rotterdam’s Killer Bees [FTS][EVENT] (FTS expects the Bees to take it.)
- On Saturday, in Trondheim, Norway, Nidaros B are playing Bergen’s Wet City Rollers [FTS][EVENT] This is Wet City’s first bout, so we can’t predict a winner!
- In a late addition: as part of their 7th Birthday celebrations, Paris Rollergirls are hosting a bout against Vagine Regime Europe.[EVENT] See below for more details on the full event.
As far as we know, the Pacific Region is still in the recruitment and training phase of its current season.
We’re not aware of any events in Latin America this weekend. (This doesn’t mean that there’s nothing going on, though – we’re still improving our mechanisms for detecting bouts in this area.)
- Proof of this: last minute addition for the first bouts of the 4th Torneo Distrital de Roller Derby (in Colombia), today [19th Feb] [EVENT]
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
Lorrae Evans is following after her Victorian Roller Derby comrades by running bootcamps in
- Edinburgh (Auld Reekie hosts) on the 18th [https://www.facebook.com/events/142726422874832/]
- and Sheffield (Sheffield Steel hosts) on the 25th of February [https://www.facebook.com/events/1133248506797019/].
The Sheffield Steel date also features Rose City Rollers’ Loren Mutch!
If you’re not in the area, Rainy City Roller Derby also have an exciting guest, as Mick Swagger is holding Strategy bootcamps on multiple dates in Manchester:
- 19th – https://www.facebook.com/events/164092490752732/
- 25th – https://www.facebook.com/events/247790305666077/
Rainy City’s own Missy Rascal is also holding an Artistic Skating session on
In other news, Paris Rollergirls are turning 7 this year, and are holding a multi-event celebration, including bootcamps and the attendance of Loren Mutch:
- 18th/19th Feb https://www.facebook.com/events/710437312455419/