It’s time once more for another look at upcoming Roller Derby from across the globe, this time for the coming weekend.
As always, these bouts are mostly taken from Flat Track Stats records [there’s a campaign on iDerby which we’re running to make sure these are as complete as possible], with some manual searching across other sources to try to catch poorly represented regions (such as Latin America).
Predictions are from FTS, and from our own SRD Rank for cases where FTS cannot, or declines to, make a prediction.
If we’ve missed anything, please let us know!
There’s two big events on in Scotland this weekend:
- Both National Teams are in evidence in Dundee, as Team Scotland Roller Derby play themselves in their selection bout; followed by the outgoing Power of Scotland squad having their last hurrah against Team Belgium Men’s Roller Derby. The latter bout is in [FTS]. [EVENT]
- Meanwhile, in Edinburgh, Auld Reekie B (the Reserves) are hosting their first game of the season, taking on Central City Rollergirls B (the Slay Belles). Both leagues’ A teams will be at EuroClash in Newcastle at the end of next month, so this is something of a B-team taster. [FTS][EVENT] (FTS predicts a fairly likely home team win here)
There’s rather a lot of roller derby in the UK this weekend (and will be for the next several months), as British Champs season is ongoing.
- In Cardiff, South Wales Silures are hosting the first bouts of the T1 Men’s division, taking on Lincolnshire Rolling Thunder themselves, and hosting Tyne & Fear versus the Inhuman League. [EVENT] [FTS Tournament] (FTS can’t rank these: SRD Rank expects a very close Silures/Rolling Thunder game, and a strong Tyne & Fear win)
- Meanwhile, in London, the Women’s T2 South gets started with London Rockin’ Rollers hosting opponents Swansea City (who promoted to T2 this year), and also Kent Roller Girls versus Royal Windsor (demoted from T1 this year).[EVENT][FTS Tournament] (FTS favours Swansea and Royal Windsor)
- And the Women’s T4 South also gets started in Plymouth, as Plymouth City host Hereford in their own bout, and also Severn Roller Torrent versus Reaper Roller Derby (of Swansea). [EVENT][FTS Tournament] (FTS favours Hereford and Reaper)
- Annnddd, the Women’s T4 West also begins on Saturday, as Cheshire Hellcats host neighbours North Cheshire Victory Rollers, and also Roller Derby Leicester versus Arcadia Roller Derby [EVENT][FTS Tournament] (FTS favours North Cheshire and Leicester, with the latter one of the strongest in the group.)
In Europe, there’s also a lot of National championships still going on, so lots of Derby (and even more outside them):
- In France, the Nationale is continuing, with the Men’s Championship kicking off this weekend in Lille. This is the “Qualification” tournament and features: Lille’s Les Barbiers de Sévices, Nantes’ Les Jules Vénères, Bordeaux’ S.T.Y.X., Yvelines’ Les Damnés, Tours’ Track-Ass, and Montmartre’s Calebrutes! [FTS Tournament][EVENT]
- Also in France, Saint-Gratien’s Roller Derby Panthers host a Triple header, with Panthers Miaou taking on Dijon’s Velvet Owls [FTS] and Graou facing Grenoble’s Cannibal Marmots [FTS], interspersed by a “Rose v Black” home teams bout [EVENT] (FTS expects Dijon to take the B bout, but the home team to win against Grenoble).
- Snowy mentioned in our interview with Dublin last week, Roller Derby Toulouse are hosting Dublin Roller Derby for a triple header – the A teams [FTS] and the B teams [FTS] playing off, respectively, topped by men’s team the Quad Guards taking on Manchester’s New Wheeled Order [FTS]. [EVENT] (FTS favours the home teams for all bouts – although expects the Men to be pretty close.)
- and on the Sunday, those Quad Guards aren’t getting any rest, as they take on Paris’ Panam Squad [FTS], as does New Wheeled Order [FTS][EVENT] (FTS thinks Panam are somewhere between NWO and Quad Guards, and so expects a win and a loss.)
- And yet more French derby on the Sunday, as Orcet hosts a double header, with their Women’s team facing Lyon’s Grrriottes Girrrls[FTS] and their Men facing the Unnamed Basterds Exhibition team [FTS] . [EVENT] (We can’t predict an exhibition team; FTS predicts a very close bout between the women.)
- and in Paris, Lutece Destroyeuses are hosting a double header too, their B team facing off against Villejuif’s Badass Ladies [FTS], and their A team taking on a mixed A/B team from Brussels Derby Pixies [no FTS as mixed team].[EVENT] (FTS predicts a win for the B team; and a potentially close thing for the A bout [Lutece A are rated almost halfway between Brussels A and B, so…])
- and finally for France, Epinal’s Reaper’s Crew host Châlon’s Rolling Storms [FTS] also on Sunday [EVENT] (FTS weakly favours the hosts.)
- Up in Finland, the Pohjola Cup’s third, and final, fixture of the current tournament is hosted by Kuopio Roller Derby over the weekend. Also competing are Oulu B (Shitty Village), St Petersburg’s White Night Furies, Seinäjoki, Rovaniemi and Jyväskylä B (Blockbusters).[EVENT] [FTS Tournament] (Kuopio and Jyväskylä are the most likely winners, by FTS.)
- Over in Sweden, history is being made as Gothenburg Salty Seamen host their very first MRDA Sanctioned game, against visitors Super Smash Brollers (Nottingham).[FTS][EVENT] (FTS predicts a very likely home win, to start off the Seamen well in their MRDA journey.)
- In Denmark, Copenhagen Roller Derby are hosting a double header, with their A team facing Go-Go Gent Roller Derby [FTS], and their B team testing Rainy City Roller Derby B (the Bet Lynch Mob)[FTS] [EVENT] (FTS favours the hosts in both games)
- In Portugal, Rocket Dolls Roller Derby Coimbra are hosting Roller Derby Vigo [FTS][EVENT] (FTS expects a very close bout, with a slight edge to the hosts.)
- In the Netherlands, Nijmegen’s Roadkill Rollers are hosting a double header, taking on Dom City Dolls B (the ThunderDoms) themselves [FTS], and hosting Arnhem Fallen Angels versus Roller Derby Twente [FTS]. [EVENT] (FTS predicts wins for Dom City and Twente)
We’re not aware of any bouts happening in the Pacific Region this weekend.
- Victorian Roller Derby League’s “Learn To Skate” series kicks off on Monday, however [EVENT], with much of the rest of the Australian leagues also starting their recruitment efforts over the coming weeks.
- It’s a similar situation in New Zealand, with Pirate City Rollers’ Fresh Meat session on Sunday [EVENT] and other New Zealand teams also in recruitment phase.
Latin America, especially Argentina, does have a bit of derby this weekend:
- Fawkes Roller Derby are hosting a double header of Argentinean Roller Derby on Sunday. The hosts are facing off against BARD’ C team (Cerdas) [FTS], whilst Sailor City Rollers B, the Tsunami Bombs, play the Dirty Fucking Dolls.[FTS] [EVENT] (FTS does not rank Latin America, SRD Rank can predict a win for Sailor B over the DFD.)
Our semi-regular “other events” section highlights things further in the future you might want to keep an eye on.
The last date in Scald Eagle and Lady Trample‘s Roller Derby and Ramps bootcamps is this weekend (11th/12th), in Medway, England, also featuring Brawn Swanson. [https://www.facebook.com/events/146844349126661/].
If you missed out, starting this weekend, Lorrae Evans is following after her Victorian Roller Derby comrades by running bootcamps in
- Gothenburg (Dock City hosts) [https://www.facebook.com/events/1316607475077675/] on the 11th,
- Edinburgh (Auld Reekie hosts) on the 18th [https://www.facebook.com/events/142726422874832/]
- and Sheffield (Sheffield Steel hosts) on the 25th of February [https://www.facebook.com/events/1133248506797019/].
The Dock City and Sheffield Steel dates also feature Rose City Rollers’ Loren Mutch!
Coming up further in the future, applications for Junior Derby Teams are open for C.A.T: Creatures of the Abyss, Europe’s first Junior Derby Tournament, hosted in Copenhagen. The closing date for applications is 1 March, with the application form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScyRbAlLBCkqMnsnGi3ktZktVfj3cm-TO4f2DnjztiYhNeMPA/viewform?c=0&w=1